Did you know that next year is my 25th high school reunion? I know…it shocks the shit out of me too. When I think of myself, I don’t think of someone who has been out of high school nearly a quarter of a century (is it just me or does that sound even worse?). I simply don’t feel that old. I know my body isn’t nearly as skinny as it once was and I know I have a 14 yr old going into the 9th grade. What I can’t figure out is how that many years have passed.
It’s a funny thing though. Being 41 and rapidly approaching 42 doesn’t bother me. I am comfortable in my own skin. I’m more confident. I’m more secure. I really like the person I’ve become and I love the people I’ve surrounded myself with. Sure, if I could reclaim my high school (or college) body tomorrow, I would. But, I wouldn’t go back to being younger (even when I wonder how I got to be old enough to be the one in charge). My teenage years were filled with the typical angst and insecurity and I don’t want that feeling back.
- Then: I would have been to scared about what people would think and say to do something really unique with my hair or body.
- Now: I rock my purple hair and love it.
- Then: I felt a desperation to belong.
- Now: I am secure in who I am. I embrace my idiosyncrasies and eccentricities.Fuck anyone who doesn’t like it.
- Then: I had truly deluded notions of what would make me happy in life.
- Now: I know how little it takes to truly make me happy.
- Then: I’d look at the Duke Basketball players and think “OMG, they are so hot.”
- Now: I look at them and think “Boy, they’ll look really good when they grow up.”
So, share it y’all. How many years since you graduated from high school? Does being older bother you? How have you changed?